Sunday, March 14, 2010

Acne 101!

As my wedding day approached I got a zit of all zits right in the middle of my chin. I panicked and did all the wrong things. It was one of those deep zits with no white head. I tried squeezing it as hard as I could. That only hurt and made it more swollen. I scrubbed it with vigor. I covered it with alcohol. The night before the wedding I put toothpaste on it. I heard it dried it up quickly. No! Instead it was bigger and redder. That day my zit and I married my loving husband of almost 9 years.
Tips:
1. Wash your face morning and night!
Especially at night to get off all that makeup and grime from the day. You are a lazy sucker if you go to bed with your makeup on. If your skin is oily a cleanser containing 2% Salicylic acid is good. You can also swipe a pad soaked in Salicylic acid over your face after cleansing, this will help soak up the oil without over drying your skin. I keep Stridex pads on hand. They're like $5 at walmart. There are other brands as well. You can also use Stridex pads to rub down your feet then apply lotion or Eucerine brand Aquaphor. This tip is from Paula Begoun, and it really helps dry cracked feet.
Suggested Cleansers with 2% Salicylic acid are:
Murad Clarifying cleanser, or Murad AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser
Neutrogena oil-free acne wash
DERMAdoctor aint misbehavin


3. Wash your makeup brushes! Wash them once a week with shampoo and let them air dry. This kills the bacteria that can cause or make acne worse.

4.Don't skip Moisturizer
Even oily skin needs hydration. Just make sure your moisturizer is oil free and noncomedogenic. Once again for my sensitive skin my favorite moisturizer is CeraVe. There are many good ones that also contain SPF. Like Aveeno Positively Radiant, Daily Defense Spf 30
Olay Complete Defense SPF 30

5.Pimple Treatment
I don't get much acne, but when one pops up I always put Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment on it before bed. I just dot it on. It contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Look for products that contain at least 2% to be effective. I like this one because it doesn't totally dry out and irritate my skin. If the zit is really swollen a little 1% hydrocortisone cream helps reduce the swelling. You can even get Cortisone shots in your zits by a dermatologist.

6.Avoid abrasive products
Abrasive scrubs can irritate the acne and may even rupture pimples. This can lead to infection and prolong the healing process.

7. Consider switching foundation from liquid to mineral
Mineral foundation doesn't clog pores. I still use and prefer liquid foundation, but I'm not acne prone.

8. For stubborn persistent acne a prescription Retinoid may be needed, or birth control pills- I know, sounds strange, but the biggest cause of acne is hormones. you can use every product on the market and still have zits because of your hormones. Also if you stop taking your birth control pills, you may have major breakouts, even a few months after stopping. There is even evidence that taking 5 pills throughout the day of Cod liver oil will help.

Remember you notice the acne more than other people. Also putting on too much concealer that cakes around a zit can make it stand out more. Just embrace your natural beauty. Beauty comes from the inside out!

No comments:

Post a Comment